United States Prime Rate

also known as the Fed, National or United States Prime Rate,
from the interest-rate specialists at www.FedPrimeRate.comSM

Monday, November 21, 2016

Odds At 95.4% (Extremely Likely) The U.S. Prime Rate Will Rise To 3.75% At The December 14, 2016 FOMC Monetary Policy Meeting

Prime Rate Forecast
Prime Rate Forecast
Latest Prime Rate Forecast

As of right now, the investors who trade in fed fund futures have odds at 95.4% (as implied by current pricing on contracts) that the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) will vote raise the target range for the benchmark fed funds rate by 25 basis points (0.25 percentage point), to 0.5% - 0.75%, at the December 14TH, 2016 monetary policy meeting (extremely likely.)

The current United States Prime Rate, which went into effect on December 17, 2015, is 3.5%.  A 25 basis point rate hike on December 14TH would cause the U.S. Prime Rate to rise to 3.75%.

NB: U.S. Prime Rate = (The Fed Funds Target Rate + 3)


Recent and key readings on inflation, housing, jobs and retail sales had strong influence on the latest odds.


The yield on the 10-Year U.S. Treasury Note has been on the rise, so mortgage rates will rise too.

Here's a recent history on the 10-year yield:

  • November 08, 2016: 1.88%
  • November 09, 2016: 2.07% 
  • November 10, 2016: 2.15% 
  • November 14, 2016: 2.23% 
  • November 15, 2016: 2.23% 
  • November 16, 2016: 2.22% 
  • November 17, 2016: 2.29% 
  • November 18, 2016: 2.34%  

Equities continue to soar to new, record-highs.  The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) closed at 18,956.69 today, while the broader Standard and Poor's 500 Index topped its history at 2,198.18. The NASDAQ Composite closed at 5,368.86.


Current Odds

  • Current odds the U.S. Prime Rate will rise to 3.75% at the December 14TH, 2016 FOMC monetary policy meeting: 95.4% (extremely likely), with remaining odds -- 4.6% (very unlikely) -- that short-term rates, including the U.S. Prime Rate, will remain at current levels.


The odds associated with fed fund futures contracts -- widely accepted as the best predictor of what the FOMC will do with the benchmark Fed Funds Target Rate -- are constantly changing, so stay tuned for the latest odds.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

--> www.FedPrimeRate.com Privacy Policy <--




Entire Website © 2024 FedPrimeRate.comSM

This website is neither affiliated nor associated with The United States Federal Reserve
in any way. Information in this website is provided for educational purposes only. The owners
of this website make no warranties with respect to any and all content contained within this
website. Consult a financial professional before making important decisions related to any
investment or loan product, including, but not limited to, business loans, personal loans,
education loans, first or second mortgages, credit cards, car loans or any type of insurance.